Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wisdom

day #16

This morning I was reading in Acts 7, this chapter is very interesting. Stephan comes before the Sanhedrin & gives overview of parts of Genesis & Exodus. I was struck by what Acts 7:9-10 says: "Because the patriarchs were jealous of Joseph, they sold him as a slave into Egypt. But God was with him and rescued him from all his troubles. He gave Joseph wisdom and enabled him to gain the goodwill of Pharaoh king of Egypt; so he made him ruler over Egypt all his palace."
After I read this I pondered asking for wisdom. I ask for wisdom all the time & sometimes I still don't feel like I have the wisdom I need for each situation. Sometimes I think my expectation is to gain knowledge right away, knowledge is a different thing then wisdom.

knowl·edge

[nol-ij] Show IPA
noun
1.
acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from studyor investigation; general erudition: knowledge of many things.
2.
familiarity or conversance, as with a particular subject orbranch of learning: A knowledge of accounting was necessaryfor the job.
3.
acquaintance or familiarity gained by sight, experience, orreport: a knowledge of human nature.
4.
the fact or state of knowing; the perception of fact ortruth; clear and certain mental apprehension.
5.

awareness, as of a fact or circumstance: He had knowledgeof her good fortune.


wis·dom

[wiz-duhm] noun
1.
the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action;sagacity, discernment, or insight.
2.
scholarly knowledge or learning: the wisdom of the schools.
3.
wise sayings or teachings; precepts.
4.
a wise act or saying.

Knowledge, to my understanding,is facts. Being knowledgeable is like that kid in your class, the one that sits in front always knows all the answers and is always "sharing" what he/she knows.
Wisdom, to my understanding, is experience. When you have been through some things and you have come out of that valley changed, for the better. That is wisdom.
I was thinking about Joseph that and the wisdom God had given him. It wasn't that one night Joseph didn't know something & the next morning he did; the wisdom from God happened over time. Joseph went through some "stuff" to get there; he was favored by his brothers which led to hatred by his brothers, he was thrown in a pit, sold by his own brothers, sold into slavery in Egypt, found favor with Potiphar, harassed by Potiphars wife, then thrown in jail & forgotten... God certainly gave Joseph wisdom & grace because he had gone through those things.

I get impatient when I don't have the answers & when I don't know what is coming next & I wonder why I go through the things I do or why certain things are happening. It is probably because I ask God for wisdom, He is shaping me, preparing me for each step & each obstacle.

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment