Monday, December 5, 2011

Contentment

day #7

Contentment is something that so many people search for, full, wordly contentment, I believe, never happens. One can not be truely content without a functional relationship with Jesus Christ. I saw "functional" because anyone can know Jesus, or even have a relationship with Christ, but when one has a functional relationship with Christ there is fruit. I struggle with contentment, because when I think of that concept I think "contentment is being in a perfect state of happiness with all areas of your life." I am not in a perfect state of happiness with all areas of my life, I want any things to change. I am thankful for all the things God has given to me, but to be honest God has given me these dreams & desires, strong desires that have just not happened. I try to live by Gods word & truth & seek Him in all areas of my life, but I am a sinner. A redeemed sinner, saved by grace. A part of me wonders what God is waiting for? Is He waiting for me to content until He moves in those areas? Then I feel like giving up because I know I'll never be content, well on my own I won't be. My heart wonders what is true, Biblical contentment, here is what I found...




  • Contentment grows out of humility & trust in God. -Psalm 131:1, NIV. "My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.


  • Contentment grows out of devotion to Christ & eternal values. -Matthew 6:24, NIV. "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."


  • Coveting is a barrier to contentment. -Exodus 20:17, NIV. "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."


  • Materialism is a barrier to contentment. -I Timothy 6:9, NIV. "People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction."


Lord, give me a heart at rest in You. May I be content in who I am in You & where You have me. I want to be content yet not be stagnant. May my heart be one of humility, bowing down before You. May I overflow with trust in You & devotion to You. May coveteousness & materialism be far from me. Fill me with thanksgiving & worhsip. I desire to live a life sold out to You, walking in humility & contentment.



1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. -Psalm 23

No comments:

Post a Comment