Tuesday, November 6, 2012

oh, for the love! Why do we do this?

Ok for real, you crazy cray home-schooler alum and {fellow} believers out there who are full of cynicism, what is with you? Y'all make me want to curse! ( I can say home-schooler because I was schooled at home)

Romans 13:1-7 "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor."


"But let's also not use these verses as permission to vote for ungodly, bad leaders. That is never what God's will is. God created government the institution, but we are responsible for the quality of leadership. We are to be respectful, but not irresponsible."

My reasoning for posting this, is due to all of the bashing and hateful comments about our current leader I have seen in the last few hours. I don't agree with everything he stands for, but I also believe that saying hateful things is not the way to handle it. Prayer is.

Along with that, what kind of message does that send to our un-believing friends? That it's okay to act towards someone in a hateful and demeaning manner because we don't agree with them or their values? Not exactly what I would consider being a good witness.

We have the freedom to vote, as believers and followers of Christ it is our responsibility to look at what the candidates stand for and then prayerfully measure that with the truth of the Bible.


No matter the outcome of the election, God is in control and has a plan. (Jeremiah 29:11) Disrespecting the man God has put in authority of our country now, does not reflect Christ-like behavior; whether or not you agree with what they stand for....living Christ-like is of the utmost importance.
Check yourself!

I came across this quote today & I really like it...


"I met those of our society who had votes in the ensuing election, and advised them:
1. To vote, without fee or reward, for the person they judged most worthy
2. To speak no evil of the person they voted against, and
3. To take care their spirits were not sharpened against those who voted on the other side."
- John Wesley, 1774


It seems Christians who have the stance that voting Republican ensures your salvation and voting Democrat makes one loose their salvation or that voting Democrat calls ones' salvation into question.
Last time I checked Acts 16:31 didn't say " believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thought shalt be saved and also always vote Republican or you are doomed to hell". 

In the last few hours I have seen sides of people that were not pretty. Do not get me wrong, I am guilty is many things.
Seeing so many negative comments about our president, seeing people bash him and say hateful things really bothers me. I do not agree with all that President Obama stands for but if I sit and complain and bash him that in no way is honoring to God.
I would be wasting my breath, because really...is it honestly worth it to speak ill of our leaders?
In the morning will it matter what I said? Will it change the outcome? No, no it doesn't.
So instead of wasting our breath complaining and sinning use that breath to pray. I'm not talking the whole sarcastic attitude of doomed to failure, I'm talking get on your knees and pray-pray, it's way more effective!




No comments:

Post a Comment